I've been meaning to come back here and write, not because I think there's really people who want to read, but because my life has been changing incredibly quickly and I do like to document change. But as I looked back at what was here, I realized that I've moved far away from the person I was.
Also, even though I never wrote anything I'd have not said to the faces of the previous cast members of this blog, my relationships with them have changed a lot as well. First postdoc PI and I now get along incredibly well, and he's helping me move forward from here in ways that are often above and beyond. So continuing to document some of the darkest parts of that relationship seems unfair.
And the adage, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is, turned out to hold true with postdoc PI #2. I wanted very much to write about the decline in that relationship, but knew the consequences if found would be severe. In the end, even without any such impetus, the cost to my science was extremely high, if more than questionable in legality. With the help of friends, my research might only be set back a few years, rather than the decade it might have taken me to recover on my own. And tenure being absolute and institutions relatively blind, others will get the chance to pay similar costs in the future.
It's not all bad, though. Unemployment is still kind of awesome. I have time to do the things I couldn't while working, like read novels, catch up on TV, visit family. I actually joined them at the beach for the entire week! this year. No fly in late, fly out after a few days bullshit. I appear to have a faculty job for fall--term, but it will go a long way to fixing the only significant problem in my CV. And ironically, my self-esteem has never been higher, I don't think.
Right now I'm packing to move. I've sorted through piles and piles and piles of crap. I even wrote about some of the crap, but didn't hit publish. It feels as though I need to sort through this pile of crap, too, before I add to it again. So I reverted everything to draft, and whatever I do next it will be elsewhere, I think. It just feels like it's time to move on. Drop me an email, and I'll be sure to let you know when I pop out on the other side. Just--it'll be a while. I've only packed half of the crap. Oh, and anybody have a good idea for a new title?
Monday, June 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck with the move. Glad to hear things worked out with PI1 and sorry to hear about bad fall out with other one. hope it works out well dispite that. Although, it sounds like you have a plan and feeling fairly good.
ReplyDeleteAnd I hear you on the drafts and keeping them but not publishing - I do that more nowadays. (mainly though since it feels like I'm whiny and not that funny to read anymore, was I ever?)
Lemme fill-you-up withe avant-gardeness necessary to achieve Seventh-Heaven, dear...
ReplyDeleteQ: Can anyone tell me the difference between K2 and IQ? A: Nthn. In Seventh-Heaven, we gitt'm both for eternity HawrHawr Need a few more thots, ideers, raw wurdz or ironclad iconoclasms? Ta-da! Voila!!
VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI: As an ex-writer of the sassy, savvy, schizophenia we all go through in this lifelong demise, I just wanna help U.S. git past the whorizontal more!ass! we're in (Latin: words to [the] wise)...
"This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty told me in my coma. "Far beyond thy earthly tempest is where you'll find tangible, corpulent eloquence". Lemme wanna tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...
I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, party-hardy-endorphins, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs (in [the] end without end -Saint Augustine) when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girly-girl passed-away due to those wry, sardonic satires.
"Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3
Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.
Go git'm, girl. You're incredible. See you Upstairs. I won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com
infowars.com
-YOUTHwitheTRUTH
-------------------------------
PS Need summore unique, uncivilized, useless names? Lemme gonna gitcha started, brudda:
Oak Woods, Franky Sparks, Athena Noble, Autumn Rose, Faith Bishop, Dolly Martin, Willow Rhodes, Cocoa Major, Roman Stone, Bullwark Burnhart, Magnus Wilde, Kardiak Arrest, Will Wright, Goldy Silvers, Penelope Summers, Sophie Sharp, Violet Snow, Lizzy Roach, BoxxaRoxx, Aunty Dotey, Romero Stark, Zacharia Neptoon, Mercurio Morrissey, Fritz & Felix Franz, Victor Payne, Isabella Silverstein, Mercedes Kennedy, Redding Rust, Phoenix Martini, Ivy Squire, Sauer Wolfe, Yankee Cooky, -blessed b9...
God blessa youse
(trust-in-Jesus)
-Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL